RE: Installation problems with GRUB

>  I've partitioned the second drive from Linux using cfdisk, and
> created two partitions.  The first partition is where I intend
> to put Hurd, it's 500 MB (as I understand there's problems
> with partitions bigger than this), is type 83 (Linux native), and

No -- I use a 1 Gig partition for my Hurd work.  Your 13 Gig HD might
cause problems, though...

>   Next, I tried obtaining a newer version of GRUB.  From
> ftp.uruk.org/public/grub, I obtained grub-0.5.tar.gz,
> dated August 20, 1998.  I created a GRUB boot floppy according to
> the instructions included with that archive:
>
>   dd if=bin/stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
>   dd if=bin/stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
>
>   Unfortunately, using this GRUB boot floppy gave me the same
> result.

That seems like a fairly old GRUB.  The debian ftp archive should
contain a more recent version.  There might be some sort of issue
if you are using new hardware.  If you install the hurd debian package
on your slink system, or even do a:
`dpkg -x grub*.deb /foo` you can get a known working copy of the stage1,
stage2, etc., binaries on your system (this command will extract it
to a "foo" directory without actually installing it on your system.)

The two-part dd commands you listed above should work fine.

Please try again using the debian package as instructed above, then
let us know how it goes.

-Brent