Re: APT

   Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 17:43:39 +0200
   From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
   Cc: debian-hurd@lists.debian.org
   Sender: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

   On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 04:55:24PM +0200, Per Lundberg wrote:

   > apt-get update went on just fine, and it downloaded the Packages file
   > without problems. After it was done updating the database, it returned to
   > the prompt (like when you press C-z), and when I did a 'fg' it generated a
   > segmentation fault. (I couldn't investigate in this further, since my gdb
   > was linked to a non-existing libshouldbeinlibc.so.. which package is this
   > in?)

   Okay, so the shlibdeps info in the gdb binary is not correct. I will soon
   update gdb and make sure it is okay (yes, mark, I know I wanted to do this a
   few days earlier :)

The gdb binary was probably built before the Hurd's libraries were
versioned (only libshouldlibc.so existed without an explicit soname
built in).  Rebuilding gdb on a recent Hurd should solve this
problem, although you won't notice the problem if you have installed
the hurd-dev package.  However, you will run into problems if we bump
the soname, so it is a good idea to get rid of these old binaries
ASAP.

Mark