APT

I just apt-get to work. Well, at least partly. :)

apt-get update went on just fine, and it downloaded the Packages file
without problems. After it was done updating the database, it returned to
the prompt (like when you press C-z), and when I did a 'fg' it generated a
segmentation fault. (I couldn't investigate in this further, since my gdb
was linked to a non-existing libshouldbeinlibc.so.. which package is this
in?)

Anyway, the 0.1.9 version of APT coldn't handle the "Architecture" thing
in apt.conf, so I thought I'd better try compiling the latest version
myself. After installing debhelper and a lot of other stuff, I could at
least get to the configure phase. It said it required libpthreads, and I
don't think libpthreads for Hurd exists. Is that correct?

Another thing I discovered is that the Hurd bails out totally if it runs
out of memory. But I guess this is quite known? ;)