FW: Guile works!

> I see that we will have it a lot easier when we have the
> libtool patches and
> I also see that we will have a lot of fun rerunning aclocal
> in each source
> package :)

That reminds me -- I noticed when building Python (and working
on tcl last night) that the configure.in rules typically
shipping with source tarballs need to be modified.  Generally,
it is enough to add change rules like:

	Linux*)
		blah blah blah

to:

	GNU* | Linux*)
		blah blah blah

This allows GNU to build shared libraries, etc.  I'm noticing
that a lot of times these rules say "Linux", but there is really
nothing Linux-specific about them -- they really mean EGCS or
GCC compiler semantics.

I wonder if this should be changed in all upstream stuff,
although I shudder to think of the effort involved.

The alternative is that we will have to make hurd-specific
diffs (or have the primary maintainer do so) for each of these
packages.  The other thing is that each time the upstream
source changes, if our "primary" maintainers are tasked with
remembering to add the "GNU*" tag to each Linux rule, there is
a big chance that these fixes will be lost each time the
upstream source goes through a major rev.

Any bright ideas on how best to resolve this? :)

-Brent