RE: Filesystem support (and wondering about current projects ,and a crash)

<context-sensitive information ruthlessly snipped>

> For device drivers, there is no desire on anyone's part to write more
> "native" code.  The only other substantial Linux code is for the
> TCP/IP stack.  I do plan a native implementation at some point, but
> it's not a terribly high priority.

That is kind of what I figured. Get it to work, and then see if people are
bored enough to optimize it later.

<snip>
> > -FAT 16/32 and VFAT support (something like ext2fs or isofs from what I
> > understand, not like mtools - I am not even sure mtools supports Fat32)
>
> FAT/VFAT support would be *very* nice.

Yes, I miss it =)

I am starting to look depply into kernel architecture/hackery, and I'm
looking for a (IMO) slightly smaller project to start on first.

> > -CD extensions support - I saw that rockridge is supported, but
> nothing like
> > Joliet (which is unfortunately what half of my CDs are written with,
> > including the CD I saved the debian Hurd packages on)
>
> I would have no objection to this; I also need to design and implement
> appropriate Hurd extensions too, and make sure mkisofs supports them.

I believe mkisofs supports them, I know linux does already. However I read
on one of the Hurd pages or in some TODO or README (or perhaps it was that
postscript file) that there were people working on isofs, so I decided
asking first would be very wise.

> > > -USB support.
>
> Do you mean the Universal Serial Bus?  I don't know much about it, so
> I can't say.

Linux is trying to get USB support in, but I don't think the architecture
maps around it well- being able to have multiple keyboards and mice and the
like, being able to add and remove devices at a whim. The whole major/minor
thing is a slight pain as well.

That is actually what made me finally decide to look at the Hurd.
> Thomas

-David