Re: Filesystem support (and wondering about current projects ,and a crash)

"David Waite" <mass@ufl.edu> writes:

> I of course am new - but I do notice a lot of linux code being used in
> Hurd.. is this code permanent or is it expected to be changed to more
> 'native' code later?

No general rule here.

For device drivers, there is no desire on anyone's part to write more
"native" code.  The only other substantial Linux code is for the
TCP/IP stack.  I do plan a native implementation at some point, but
it's not a terribly high priority.

Some filesystem code for ext2fs was taken from Linux, just as for ufs
(a/k/a ffs) we took some from BSD.

> -FAT 16/32 and VFAT support (something like ext2fs or isofs from what I
> understand, not like mtools - I am not even sure mtools supports Fat32)

FAT/VFAT support would be *very* nice.

> -CD extensions support - I saw that rockridge is supported, but nothing like
> Joliet (which is unfortunately what half of my CDs are written with,
> including the CD I saved the debian Hurd packages on)

I would have no objection to this; I also need to design and implement
appropriate Hurd extensions too, and make sure mkisofs supports them.

> > -USB support.

Do you mean the Universal Serial Bus?  I don't know much about it, so
I can't say.

Thomas