Re: System requirements

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 12:07:44AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 01:27:08PM -0800, Ian Main wrote:
> > >
> > > and the easy guide has something, too, I think.
> >
> > The easy guide (at http://pick.sel.cam.ac.uk/~mcv21/hurd.html) says:
> >
> > 	You may make a swap partition too if you wish, or use your Linux one
> > 	(in which case you need to modify your boot scripts, but I have no
> > 	idea which ones to change).
> >
> > And that's the end of that :)
> >
> > I would not mind writing text for this if the author is not up to it.
>
> Eh, wait a minute ;) The last sentence will be pretty much obsolete very
> soon (in prior versions, hurd did not honour the special swap markup used by
> linux and destroy it, so you'd need to run mkswap again. In the meantime,
> Roland did add some sode to the hurd which makes sure that the linux swap
> format is not harmed).

Hmm.. and you will make it so there is a default pager in the debian package
?  I do beleive this was the problem I was experiencing earlier.  I will
experiment more tonight to verify.

> If you want to write something, this is a good start:
>
> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-hurd-9903/msg00022.html
>
> Roland did well explaining the new format, and if you document it, it is not
> lost.

okeydoke

> > > Great to hear that it is now working more reliable! Which translator is
> > > dying on you? exec or file system?
> >
> > The ext2fs translator.  I tried both ext2.static and plain ext2 (or whatever
> > they are exactly called).  As soon as I cd into the dir it dies with a 'translator
>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Which dir? how did you set up the translator? What did you expect to see?
>
> > died' error message and I'm put back to my previous dir.  I'm using settrans
> > just like in the easy install doc.
>
> Well, probably the partition is too big (>1 GB).

Aaah, yes, this is the problem ;-) I had forgotten about that.

*smacks forehead*

DOH!

> > Also, is there a /proc translator I should have setup ?  I see errors from
> > several programs about no /proc.
>
> No, proc is not supported by Hurd (write an emulation if you can :), but
> please report the program which doesn't work. I know of start-stop-daemon.
>
> Every program which relies on /proc needs to be rewritten if it is
> significant to the Hurd.

OK. I'll take better notes when I mess around with it tonight :-)

If we patch a program, who should we send it to ?

Ian