Re: Installation guide updated

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 08:28:00PM +0000, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> >      * alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/cross-install.Z
> >      * alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/native-install.Z
> >      * alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/dpkg-hurd.Z
> >
> > My scripts are not compressed, especially not with a non-free compression
> > algorithm!
> >
> > Same for this one:
> >    ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnu-0.2/grub-boot.image.Z
>
> According to my sunsite mirror they are....strange. They don't appear to
> be compressed on the original site tho - perhaps the sunsite mirroring
> program compresses scripts by default?

Maybe it supports compression on the fly? Can you access the files without
the suffix, too?

> > "Eventually, you will get a prompt. First, get that nice Bourne again shell:
> >    bash"
> >
> > Why? The prompt already is a bash shell.
>
> Ah. Last time I single-user booted I got sh. Is that bash in disguise, or
> am I just out of date (slink CDs are taking up lots of time atm)?

sh is bash in disguise :) It's a symlink. On a Debian system, policy says
that sh must be a link to any POSIX shell. Currently, there is only bash and
probably ash. However, if you use bash specific features in your shell, you
should start it with "#!/bin/bash" and not "#!/bin/sh".