Re: Success, to some extent

Marcus will have to provide the authoritative answers, but I have a
suggestion or two.

> additionally, when trying to run ae, I see it's been linked against
> libc.so.6; the only libc in hurd is libc.so.0.2 -- this is its proper soname
> anyway.

Yes, I think there was a prior posting about this, and a new package
someplace or on the way eventually.

> Additionally, as I saw a 'perl' package in base on ftp.us.debian.org (for
> i386 hurd) I assumed that the provided perl .tar.gz was sufficient -- is it
> not?

I believe that the .deb and the .tar.gz contain the same thing.  The tar
file is there because you need perl installed to be able to run dpkg.  It
is probably ideal to reinstall perl from the .deb once your system is all
up, so that the debian database of what's installed has the info about perl.

> One last thing: After I've booted, I see no /dev/hd?s? devices. /dev/MAKEDEV
> doesn't know how to make them.

You need to send a specific bug report (i.e. show us what you tried and
what you got).  You need to make device files for whatever disks or
partitions you will use.

> Do they need to be there? And do they not represent directories under GNU
> Hurd?

I'm not sure what you mean.  Once set up, the translator (/hurd/storeio)
used for device files like /dev/hd0s1 provides a device special file that
accesses the raw partition, just like device special files on unix.
To read a filesystem from a partition, you use a separate translator
(ext2fs or ufs or whatever for your particular filesystem).

> As it looked pretty close, I just took every .deb in
> sid/main/binary-i386-hurd/base and ran cross-install. perhaps this was wrong.

I think that is right, but Marcus will have to verify the instructions.

> Anyway, I'll keep you posted. I'll try to get dpkg finished configuring
> everything... checking man pages now....

I think there was something about having to run dpkg --configure twice,
so only worry about errors you get running it the second time.

> The one recurring thing here is that /dev/fd/4 error. What does that mean?

There are two possibilities.  Either it is some bug in dpkg or one of the
shell scripts involved in the install stuff, where it's trying to use
/dev/fd/4 but doesn't have an open file descriptor 4; or it's a problem
with the /dev/fd translator.  You can see if the /dev/fd translator is
working ok by trying something like "ls -l /dev/fd/0"; fd 0 is always open,
it's stdin and so will be your terminal.  If you get normal-looking output
and not an error, then /dev/fd is probably ok.