Re: Suggestion

Thomas MANGIN <t-mang98@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr> writes:

> I hope I will not be totally out of subject.
>
> I would like to submit a sugestion even if I wasn t able to install Hurd
> for the moment due to hardware and internet access restruiction.
> I notice in Linux init process that user level applications have no
> possibility to change anything in the "boot sequence" I mean add a new
> entry to Path or excute a user level deamon and so on. I was thinking
> about domething like and /etc/init.d/application folder where every
> software would be able to write. This will allow something like
> for I in /etc/init.d/application/*
> do
>  exec $i
> done
>
> This is mainly the basic idea. If this is totally stupid I would like t
> oknow where I am false

First of all, in the Debian distribution, debian packages can do
exactly this --- have a per-application file started.
(sniff-glue-0.6_0.7.deb can simply install the script
/etc/init.d/sniff-glue which can start, restart or stop daemons.)
Moreover, one version of cron (Vixie cron?) does in fact allow users
to set cron jobs to be started on system boot.  There are, as another
poster noted, some security issues, and some sysadmins are unwilling
to run this version of cron for this reason.

In any case, I think this need not be a Hurd-specific arrangement; you
may want to suggest it on a general Debian development list.

Andrew