Re: Idiot's guide stuck

On Sat, Jan 16, 1999 at 12:38:11PM +0000, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > No, we don't ditch it. We offer both ways as alternatives. Try to explain
> > the issue in the idiot guide.
>
> In that case, will we need two sets of some packages - one for
> with-symlink, and one for without.

No, I am sure we can solve most problems by intelligent use of condition
instructions, like if [ ! -l /usr ].

Most packages should work on both versions almost equally.

> Am I right in saying that the problems we thought we would have with the
> symlink are not as bad as we feared, so users "might like to consider"
> adopting the hurd policy of having the symlink?

Yes.

> I begin to feel this way myself (argh - how many times has my mind been
> changed on this subject?), in which case, I'll re-install, and then dpkg
> should work....

:) If you want to do without symlink, you have to wait for Gordon certainly.

[...]
> No: IJ has still yet to sign my pgp key, depsite several months an
> innumerable nags every time I see him. I'll get on to someone else in
> Cambridge...

Note that you can also sent in a copy of your identity paper (or how is it
called).