Re: Idiot's guide stuck

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 16, 1999 at 12:13:39PM +0000, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > 	The idiot's guide (new version) is currently on hold. This is
> > becuase there are still issues that are unresolved:
> >
> > 1) do we ditch the symlink?
> >
> > I think so, and this seems to be the consensus. HOwever, until Gordon has
> > time to deal with rpaths in glibc (NB - I am not nagging you Gordon :) ),
> > my dpkg won't work. I don't think I should change the idiot's guide until
> > dpkg works...
>
> No, we don't ditch it. We offer both ways as alternatives. Try to explain
> the issue in the idiot guide.

In that case, will we need two sets of some packages - one for
with-symlink, and one for without.

Am I right in saying that the problems we thought we would have with the
symlink are not as bad as we feared, so users "might like to consider"
adopting the hurd policy of having the symlink?

I begin to feel this way myself (argh - how many times has my mind been
changed on this subject?), in which case, I'll re-install, and then dpkg
should work....

> > 2) Can I do anything useful now?
> >
> > I've tried cross-compiling several things now, but have yet to get very
> > far. I guess I'll have to wait for native builds to be possible.
> >
> > btw - what does the make-cross package do?
>
> It is intended to set up a cross compilation environment, but it is better
> to use Santiagos i386-gnu-gcc package, which is based on make-cross.

OK.

> I could document it, but we are so close to native building that it doesn't
> look worth it.

Agreed

> What can you do? I have posted a list of things to be done in the Debian
> scripts, you could look into that. You could also investigate why
> find ...|xargs always returns the error "too many command line arguments"

Ah yes - I was going to see why dpkg need /proc (C is my forte not perl :)

> Are you a registered Debian developer? In this case you can look into my
> proposal to enhance the Debian building process for the Hurd and second it
> (if you support it). The adress is
>
> http://www.de.debian.org/Bugs/db/31/31946.html

No: IJ has still yet to sign my pgp key, depsite several months an
innumerable nags every time I see him. I'll get on to someone else in
Cambridge...

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo