Idiot's guide (was Re: Help Getting Started)

>   First - Understand Hurd partition names
>   Second - Make a partition
> OK.

:) Not a total rewrite then!

>   Third - Get that Hurd!
>
> Needs to be changed. Installation is now easier. Mention also that you can
> install my gnu-19990104 OVER your gnu-0.2 distribution (with some luck).

Probably easier to mke2fs again, having taken some backups. That's what
I've done.

>   Fourth - Prepare the Hurd for your system
>      * In the first line, change /hurd/ufs.static to /hurd/ext2fs.static.
>        This defines the correct root filesystem type.
>
> Obsolete.
OK
>      * In the last line, replace /dev/sd0b with the Hurd name of your swap partition (see
>        above). If you really don't want a swap partition, then comment this line out (put a #
>        at the beginning of the line).
>
> Commented out by default now.

Does hurd not use swap ATM?

>    Then edit /hurd/etc/fstab as follows:
>
> In my distribution, this file is not there at all. Please explain how to to
> create the file from scratch.

OK - I'll provide an example for people to download.

> This has changed! The script is now called "native-install", and does some
> other things too. If you use my tar file, you need even less than
> "native-install", then the original SETUP does work (or you remove some
> lines from native-install). Let me know if you need a copy of a good script.

OK - I've got native-install

> Obsolete! It is now in the tar file. No need to reboot so often.

:)

> Not necessary anymore.

fine

>    Next, you need to set up the network:
>    settrans /servers/socket/inet \
>    /hurd/pfinet --interface=eth0 --address=NN.NN.NN.NN \
>    --gateway=GG.GG.GG.GG --netmask=MM.MM.MM.MM
>
> I am not sure. This should be "servers/socket/2" and inet is a link to it
> (the link is installed inmy tar file and via the scripts).

OK - I'll try settrans /servers/socket/2 and see what happens...

> Obsolete. Done in my scripts, or in the Debian package timezone.

I'll include where in cross-install to set this.

> I don't know what you are talking about here. Debian packages ship with
> libcrypt, and this is not covered by US export restrictions. This point is

The gnu-0.2. had a missing/defective one (the one I downloaded anyway)

> obsolete. The other point, about the passwd and group file is obsolete, too.
> Debian uses it's own files (with reserved uid and gid's). Don't copy any
> file, they have to match the Debian conventions.

If you have a debian Linux box, then it works. I tried it :)

> Completely obsolete, as a proper file is in the Debian package. You don't
> need to change to "files", too, "compat" works just fine.

OK

>    I hope this has been helpful. I'm sorry it's so long, but I've tried to
>    make everything simple by explaining everything step by step.
>
> This needs a change, too. After you have removced the obsolete parts, the
> instructions will be quite short. :)

:p

> Isn't it great that installation becomes so much easier using the Debian
> packages?

Indeed. I've added a mention about the three mailing lists.

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Selwyn College Computer Support