Re: Idiot's guide (was Re: Help Getting Started)

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 11:53:29AM +0000, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> >      * In the last line, replace /dev/sd0b with the Hurd name of your swap partition (see
> >        above). If you really don't want a swap partition, then comment this line out (put a #
> >        at the beginning of the line).
> >
> > Commented out by default now.
>
> Does hurd not use swap ATM?

It does, but the line is commented out in the default file in the hurd
package. So you should say "if you want swap, remove the comment sign "#"
and edit the partition name".

> > obsolete. The other point, about the passwd and group file is obsolete, too.
> > Debian uses it's own files (with reserved uid and gid's). Don't copy any
> > file, they have to match the Debian conventions.
>
> If you have a debian Linux box, then it works. I tried it :)

Yes.

> >    I hope this has been helpful. I'm sorry it's so long, but I've tried to
> >    make everything simple by explaining everything step by step.
> >
> > This needs a change, too. After you have removced the obsolete parts, the
> > instructions will be quite short. :)
>
> :p

Now that I think about it, new problems are popping up, so it will grow
again :)

Thanks for your help,