Re: Problems getting the .debs :(

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 12:42:58AM +0000, M.C. Vernon wrote:

> > Currently, you can't build debian packages natively, as neither a good dpkg
> > nor a good dpkg-dev is available. There are three problems:
> >
> > dpkg reports the wrong architecture
> > dpkg-shlibdeps hangs the machine (and I have no clue why)
> > dpkg-gencontrol needs a patch (see bug don't-remember-the-number)
> >
> > Let me know if you are prepared and I will tell you how you build natively
> > and still build the package... but it's not easy, unfortunately. I hope this
> > will change soon.
>
> Well, it can't be as bad as ***** apache.....

The problem is not the software, this may cause problems, too. I mean the
Debian build process, it has its own quirks. there is a standard procedure
me and Santiago have carefully developed to build Hurd packages. This is
still evolving, and a proposal to incorporate the experiences in the Debian
build tools is under way.

> Getting hurd working first is a priority (then there's the anatomy test
> this afternoon :(( )....

I wish you luck!