Re: planning to port perl, plip, ppp

   Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:32:15 -0500 (EST)
   From: John Tobey <jtobey@channel1.com>

   Did you configure with -Dusethreads?  Did all tests succeed?

Without -Dusethreads.  We do not have pthreads on the Hurd yet.  But
it seems that cthreads support for Perl is being worked on.  Some
references to it are present in the latest development version
(5.005.53).

Quite a few tests did not succeed.  I haven't had the time to look
into all failures, but a lot of those failures are related to features
that are not implemented on the Hurd.  But since GNU libc implements
these functions as stubs, the configure script thinks these functions
are supported and runs the appropriate tests, which of course fails.

However, all basic stuff seems to work just fine, and the resulting
Perl is definitely usable.

Mark