Re: Linux binaries on HURD

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 06:34:06PM +0400, Grigorio V. Moshkin wrote:

> Linux binaries and driver modules MUST BE runnig atop Debian GNU/HURD
> system on the same hardware architecture.

Although Linux binary compatibility would be nice, it is not a
primary goal right now. Source compatibility is much more important.

> And Linux program and module code sources MUST BE runnig after simple
> re-compilation on the different hardware architecture.

This will be true for many software, as soon as Linux system calls
are emulated and the glibc 2.1 will be used in both systems.

> So Debian GNU/HURD MUST NOT differ at all compared to Debian GNU/Linux for
> 'external user'. It's a wrong way to port packages such as make, tar, etc.
> from Linux to HURD. Instead you have to create environment that couldn't
> be distinguished from Linux by any Linux packages, programs or modules!

I am sorry to disappoint you. The Hurd will differ to stock Linux
in many ways, we hope it will be better.

For example, the kernel: Hurd is based on the GNU Mach Microkernel,
which means that the runtime configuration is much more flexibel
than the current module support in Linux.

For example, filesystem: The Hurd supports translators, which allow
more flexible handling of different data sources. For example, you can
"mount" a filesystem per ftp.

I expect to be the capabilities of Linux a subset of the capabilities
of the Hurd, and Linux users will feel very comfortable in a hurd
environment (developers even more so).

> Plese accept opinion mentioned above, it's so IMPORTANT for your
> success!!!

Again, the goal is not to imitate Linux with a micro kernel. The
goal is not even to imitate a Unix OS, although the Hurd will be
very similar to Unix in many aspects. However, you will find out
that Linux users will have no difficulties to become Hurd users
And the other way round (although the latter may be missing a few
features). Furthermore, I expect to have code exchanges in both
directions.

Two facts that show this relationship: The linux kernel drivers are
incoprprated in the GNU Mach sources nearly unharmed, and Gordon
wrote a filesystem translator library for the Hurd. There
will be many more examples.

GNU programs will probably have additional features on the Hurd, but
still, Linux users will find their everything they are used to.

For the end user, who does use a GUI or similar, the differences
will be nearly unnoticable (as he is only concerned with the menu
and his mouse). The Hurd will be able to run X just as well
as Linux.

Thank you,