Re: I want to try HURD

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 12:40:14PM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:
> Hi!

>  RCdS> Hi, I'm a Debian user and I want to try HURD, but I don't want
>  RCdS> to download the whole GNU-0.2 package -- it's too big.  I
>  RCdS> downloaded Mach & HURD sources some months ago, but I have to
>  RCdS> reconfigure gcc in order to cross-compile it, and I think it
>  RCdS> would be a bit messy (maybe I'm wrong).
>
> Yup, it's still pretty messy.

There is a cross gcc Debian package, which is quite easy to use. Thank
Santiago for that. Name: gcc-i386-gnu, version 1.3-1.

Rafael, there are gnumach and hurd Debian packages on the ftp site, how
about using them instead rolling your own versions?

>  RCdS> What should I do?
>
> I'm trying to put together a glibc-2.1 package for Debian GNU/Hurd,
> and when that's finished we should gain a lot more momentum.

Gordon, I didn't knew that! We should coordinate our efforts, I've access to
libc CVS and wanted to start on the Debian package, too :) (Note that I have
made the glibc2 2.0.4 package, so we can work from that).

Please mail me about this.

Marcus