Re: exec cannot execute gzip file

  Hi Roland.

From: Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com>
Subject: Re: exec cannot execute gzip file
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 16:26:51 -0400

> >   I have a question: I can't find where the code that you mean exists.
> > Please tell me which file includes that.
>
> I assume you are referring to grub?  There is a copy of the latest grub
> dist available at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub-0.5.tar.gz.
> (The the other things mentioned are all in the hurd source.)

  No, no. I mean which file in "hurd-19980812/exec/*.c". As long as I
can read, if GZIP is defined, exec seems to be able to gunzip. So, I'd
like to know which code is wrong.

> That's great news!  Thanks a lot for this work!  I wish you had mentioned
> earlier what you were working on.  Are you using libbz2?

  No, my engine is based on bzip2-0.1pl2, not bzip2-0.9.0b. Although
I'm considering that I should rewrite it by using libbz2, I'm
wondering if BSD-style license is good or not.

> Note that the gzip support in exec was a quick hack for making boot
> floppies, and I did it before zlib was available to provide a clean way to
> reuse the gunzip code.

  I think your code is enough for Hurd.

  Although I don't want open the imcomplete patch, I put this patch
to:

http://www-mbi3.kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~okuji/hurd-19980812-unzip.patch.gz

  How to use this patch:

$ tar zxf hurd-19980812.tar.gz
$ gzip -cd hurd-19980812-unzip.patch.gz | patch -p0

  This patch enables:

* libstore can bunzip2 with `-Tbunzip2:device' option (I've not tested)
* exec can bunzip2 automatically (it cannot do yet)
* serverboot can gunzip and bunzip2 automatically (OK!)

  But, hurd-19980812 cannot be compiled, so if you want to build it
really, you can use my dirty patch (VERY DIRTY!). It's available from:

http://www-mbi3.kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~okuji/trash/hurd/hurd-19980812-fixed.patch.gz

 .~~.          OKUJI Yoshinori <okuji@kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
 o _           http://www-mbi3.kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~okuji/