Re: Hurd Build Issues

On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 07:46:20AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

[about tar files]

> Hmm... those could probably go in project.  (maybe project/expirimental?)
> I don't know how to upload for there, though -- I guess write the ftp
> site folks and ask.
>
> And I thought that there were already hurd sites.

The points are:

1) They are not *.deb files, so they should not be in the distribution
   directory, granted.
2) They are more or less specific for our debian-hurd project, so they should
   be easy to find by debian-hurd developers.
3) We don't have *any* debian-hurd deb packages for now. Santiago made some
   cross compiling deb packages for i386.

Raul, how many hours have you spend in the hurd now? Did you notice that
there is hardly a way to build a functional program, not to speak of clean
debian packages?

Let's first make it work, then fancy...

> Or you could just upload them to master, put them in your public_html
> directory and let people know they are there.

I think this is a good solution. I didn't asked for more.

> What I was saying is that they wouldn't fit into a debian "distribution"
> area, because they're not those kind files.

Granted. It is too early to think of a working "distribution" anyway. You
can make up some deb packages, but we have no closed base package yet and
won't have so for some time. It'll will need some time until at least some
people are familiar enough with the Hurd. For example, I see certain
problems with upgrading essential hurd components. Problems that do not
appear in a Linux environment because all is hidden in the kernel.