RE: Request for better GnuMach/Hurd Information

Yes.

I think that the constant lack of any current information regarding the
hurd, and the inaccesability of recent hurd source archives is detrimental
to the project as a whole.

I suspect that most people assume that the hurd is either dead or being
developed so slowly that it will never be finished, and consequently ignore
it as an option entirely. I know I did for a long time.

With the 'bazaar' development style being the latest fad, its notable that
the hurd development has always been very closed. I understand this to some
extent, since it creates a more organized and (potentially) solid
development model.

I don't think packaging the gnu-0.2 release is at all worth packaging.
However I don't think that is our aim. I thought it was clear that we will
work with more recent snapshots which Gord will make available (am I
missinterpreting your prior statements to this effect?).

Also, having the only acces to recent code be through a prorietary and
generally costly (server wise anyway) distributed filesystem like andrew is
shocking considering the nature of this project.

Bottom line, I've given up on the hurd more than once because of inability
to get any support or frequent source updates, I'm sure there are many
others of the "kernel snapshot every 6 hours", "anonymous cvs access to
everything" linux generation have and will do the same.

Anybody else?

[ james . taylor ] . [ jptaylor @ aisvt . bfg . com ]