Re: debian-hppa on a C8000

Hi Frank,

But did you notice how silent the c8000 is at the same time (even with
two dual-core PA-8800/8900 installed)? :-)

no wonder, with this heavy metal case! ;-)

And for the hppa port of
Debian GNU/Linux I think it's a very good combination of size and
hardware resources. In addition it has built-in remote control
capabilities (see [1]).

Interesting for a remote server with modem access to the serial port.
I've tried it out on my machine, but after entering ESC-(, the serial
line simply freezes up. Maybe a BMC-password is set that should be cleared.

All of my HP
workstations are just museum pieces and to be authentic, all of them are
running HP-UX, except for this one C8000.

Nice! Would you be interested in testing these with Debian to see what
works and what does not?

Why not? My 68k workstations are out of topic here, but I've got the
following running parisc machines: 710, several 715, one with HCRX-24
graphics, 725, C360, C3600, J5600, C8000. Is there a machine, where I
could help testing?

All of the PA-RISC machines I own, support network booting, so maybe
yours will, too. Testing wouldn't then require an actual on disk
installation, so not touching any existing HP/UX installations or
creating the need for a disk. You only need to setup the needed
infrastructure services (DNS, DHCP, TFTP, NFS, etc.).

No problem, if you tell me exactly what to do. But be aware, that I do
have a lot of Linux experience, but only with RHEL and openSuse, not
with Debian.

And regarding the crashes and instabilities I see, I'm now sure, that
they are coming from the "apt-get upgrade". The original 8 (jessie)
installation works absolutely stable. But after the upgrade, the system
either doesn't boot or it crashes sometime later. This doesn't happen
without the upgrade.

Lothar
--
Lothar Paltins                                        lptmp10@arcor.de