Re: debian-hppa on a C8000

Hi Lothar,

On 12.03.19 14:31, Lothar Paltins wrote:
> the "native" OS of the old HP workstations is HP-UX, but just out of
> curiosity I've tried to install Linux on one of my C8000. Installing
> using a CD with debian-8.0-hppa-CD-1.iso as described in the Linux
> PARISC Wiki succeeded without problems, but I couldn't install any
> updates. During the installation, the installer asks for the radeon
> firmware R300_cp.bin, but I continued the installation without it.

Correct, PA-Linux currently doesn't support the Radeon cards in the C8000.

> Installing /lib/firmware/radeon/R300_cp.bin afterwards breaks the
> system, it crashes during booting.

It shouldn't crash with a recent kernel. Can you post the crash dump?

> This is also the case after an "apt-get update;apt-get upgrade".
Latest debian-unstable packages do work on the c8000.
Some of the debian buildd servers are c8000 machines running latest
debian unstable packages.
So, can you maybe also give some more info what happens when you
upgrade?
For example I can imaginge that you manually need to upgrade the
palo boot code on the hard disc boot sector before reboot.

> I've then tried to install debian-9.0-Stretch-hppa-NETINST-1.iso and
> debian-10.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso, but here the installer crashes
> already shortly after entering the locale information.
Yes, that's known and is being worked on. That's not c8000 specific.

> Did anybody succeed in installing a more recent version than debian-8.0?

I do (with upgrades from debian-8).

Helge