Re: debian-hppa on a C8000

On 15.03.19 10:17, Lothar Paltins wrote:
> I've tried to send a reply to the list with an attachment, but it seems,
> that it was silently ignored. I'm now sending it without the attachment.
>
> Am 14.03.19 um 00:17 schrieb John David Anglin:
>> Helge is right.  Unless you are a ATI graphics card expert, you
>> won't be able to fix the ring test failure.
>
> I don't want to fix it, although my profession as a software engineer
> was the development and debugging of hardware control software. But I'm
> not an ATI graphics card expert and I think the graphics acceleration
> isn't very important. I don't want to do real work on this more than 13
> years old machine. It's slow compared to current machines and it
> consumes almost 300W of electrical power without any load. All of my HP
> workstations are just museum pieces and to be authentic, all of them are
> running HP-UX, except for this one C8000.
>
> But anyway, it's interesting to see that an almost current Linux runs on
> it.

The very newest Linux (git head, Debian unstable, ...) runs on it,
most times better than older ones.

> But it seems to be a little bit fragile. I booted it today and all
> messages on the serial console seemed to be correct, but the connected
> monitor didn't show the KDE login screen, neither via the DVI nor the
> VGA connector. I tried to log in blindly and this worked, but the
> desktop was displayed only on the VGA connector. I logged out from the
> session and logged in again, but then the system freezes up after the
> desktop background was drawn.

I'm astonished that you got some graphical output at all.
But in fact, nobody really tests C8000 with graphics card.
All c8000 machines I own run "server-like" in the datacenter.

> I had to switch it off and after powering it up again it crashed
> during the next booting. But eventually, after booting the machine a
> third time, everything works again as before.
Of course that's not how it should be. I assume this is based on the fact
that you used graphics before.

> There are only a lot of "unaligned access" messages on the console
> coming from KDE applications, but I guess, that's a known issue.

Yes, they are non-critical and just show that applications don't
respect the natural alignments of data.

> I've taken a photo of the console with the backtrace after the crash,
> but it doesn't seem to be possible to send a mail with an attachment. If
> anybody is interested, I could send it directly.

You can send me everything in private mail.

Thanks!
Helge