Aw: Re: Bad LIF Image Error on Install for C8000 and J6750

Hi Thomas,

> > Drive type   : vendor 'HP' product 'DVD-ROM 305' revision '1.01'
>
> No listing of profiles ?
> (The GET CONFIGURATION command appears first in MMC-2 together
>  with the first mentioning of DVD. So a DVD drive should know it.)
>
> It's probably a Pioneer DVD-305 drive.

Yes, seems so.

> cdrdao lists it as as exception from "MMC compliant" drives
> needing the "plextor" driver and not "generic-mmc".
>   http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html
>
> So it might really be too old for telling MMC profiles.
>

> > http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-9000/DVD-ROM-305-supports-which-types-of-DVD/td-p/3506773#.VAbTnESKnZ8
> > "I've had issues with the HP DVD-ROM reading CD-RW and CD-R discs."
>
> This might indicate a systematic problem or just be some
> deterioration of an individual DVD drive.
>
> Because the drive is quite surely old old and possibly
> worn-off,

It's old, but most likely not worn-off.
It's in a server, and in it's lifetime it won't have read many CDs.

> it might be worth for Jawahar Panchal to try
> different media.
> DVD+RW or DVD-RW would be no waste.
> CD-R would be wasteful but also give hope for better
> physical readability than CD-RW.

Jawahar, for me it did worked with a DVD+RW.

> Helge:
> Since you have a drive, you can make own read tests.

Sure.

> I have googled for LIF and HP booting.
> (I actually operated storage devices with this no-hierarchy
>  filesystem of HP in the 1980s.)
>   http://www.hp9845.net/9845/projects/hpdir/
>
> Your README confirms that the PALO boot block is indeed supposed
> to bear the LIF magic number 0x80 0x00.

Yes.

> So if the firmware complains about the lack of this magic,
> it is probably unable to read the first block with these two
> bytes from the CD-RW.
> This block is not used by mounting.

This is what I get with the CD-RW inserted on Linux:

root@lsXX:/mnt# xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -list_profiles
xorriso 1.3.2 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.

xorriso : NOTE : Disc status unsuitable for writing
Drive current: -outdev '/dev/sr0'
Media current: is not recognizable
Media status : is not recognizable

Media summary: 1 session, 57583 data blocks,  112m data,     0 free
Drive current: -outdev '/dev/sr0'
Drive type   : vendor 'HP' product 'DVD-ROM 305' revision '1.01'

Mounting the CD-RW in Linux does work.

> The first two bytes could just be inquired by:
>
>   dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2 count=1 | od -c
>
> which should yield
>
>   1+0 records in
>   1+0 records out
>   2 bytes (2 B) copied, 0.0105 s, 0.2 kB/s
>   0000000 200  \0
>   0000002
>
> If this does not yield "0000000 200  \0", then it should
> report some i/o error.

It is able to read the first block:
root@lsXX:/mnt# dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2 count=1 | od -c
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
2 bytes (2 B) copied, 0.004 s, 500 B/s
0000000 200  \0
0000002

So, maybe firmware just checks the "Media status" as above and then fails because it's not "recognizable" ?

Helge