Re: Bad LIF Image Error on Install for C8000 and J6750

Hi,

> It's old, but most likely not worn-off.

I mostly meant the drive of Jawahar Panchal, of which we
do not yet know the model name.

Ok. I retract "worn-off" and replace by "age-wise challenged". :))

> root@lsXX:/mnt# xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -list_profiles
> Media current: is not recognizable
> Media status : is not recognizable
> Media summary: 1 session, 57583 data blocks,  112m data,     0 free

Not being a MMC drive, it might be not suitable for libburn.

> So, maybe firmware just checks the "Media status" as above and then fails
> because it's not "recognizable" ?

"not recognizable" is a misperception of libburn and xorriso,
probably because SCSI command GET CONFIGURATION is not supported
by the drive.
Other commands like  READ DISC INFORMATION, READ TRACK INFORMATION,
or READ TOC/PMA/ATIP seem to work.

One would have to run

  xorriso -scsi_log on -outdev /dev/sr0 -list_profiles \
    2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/xorriso.log

in order to learn which particular commands do not work.
I am quite astonished to see a DVD drive with such
handicaps. So technically it would be of interest for me
to get such a /tmp/xorriso.log in private.
(It will hardly help this thread, though.)

> root@lsXX:/mnt# dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2 count=1 | od -c
> 0000000 200  \0

Grmpf. At least the problem is not easily reproducible.
Maybe the firmware complains about bad magic for more
mismatches than only the first LIF bytes.

The fact that your DVD+RW booted, shows that the firmware
does not demand a real LIF System Block as of
http://www.hp9845.net/9845/projects/hpdir/.
We store the address of the 32-bit kernel file where LIF
has "Directory Start".

A checkread of full image size from CD-RW might show that
some other blocks (of 2048 bytes) are bad.
Or maybe the DVD drive needs some heating by reading DVD+RW
before it is willing to read CD-RW.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas