Re: debootstrap from parisc-linux.org

(Thanks for keeping me in Cc, forgot to mention that earlier.)

Helge Deller dixit:

>Actually, parisc-linux.org is not a "third-party" side.

From the Debian Developer’s PoV, it very much is an unknown,
untrusted third-party site… although my public_html directory
on freewrt.org is not much better admittedly ;-)

>Dave and myself would like to upload our hppa packages to debian-ports,
>but haven't received any answers from the administrator there yet...
>(I assume it's Aurelinen?).

Oh, okay? Yes, it’s Aurélien (aurel32 on IRC). You might need
to prod him occasionally. Normally, upload rights for Debian
Developers (with their keys in the keyring) and buildds (4096R
keys with one year expiry) are easy, Debian Maintainers (with
key in the old DM keyring) were also possible if a DD spoke
out for them. No idea on non project members but I’ve seen it.

>How can we get our packages to debian-ports?

Basically by dput dpo foo.changes after debsigning the file.

cat >>~/.dput.cf <<EOF
[dpo]
fqdn                    = ftp.debian-ports.org
incoming                = /incoming/
login                   = anonymous
allow_dcut              = 1
method                  = ftp
EOF

The thing is: for files to go to the 'unstable' repository,
they *MUST* be built from *UNMODIFIED* Debian sid source
packages (built with --build-arch for cowbuilder and the
-B option to dpkg-buildpackage, and only include *_hppa.deb
files). (Same for 'experimental'.)

Everything else MUST go to the 'unreleased' repository,
built with the -sa option to dpkg-buildpackage (to include
the .orig.tar.gz, in every upload), and including source
(.dsc, .diff.gz/.debian.tar.*), arch:all and arch:hppa
binaries (just arch:all doesn’t work), and be versioned
with a +hppa.1 suffix.

Look at the m68k repositories and my notes in
http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/dp/ (the 0-NOTE.txt file
and the stuff under files/ is interesting).

>That would be the easiest
>solution and debootstrap should then work, right?

debootstrap can only work if *all* packages involved are
in unstable (see above).

With m68k, we have eglibc in unreleased, so it doesn’t work
(but is still better than not on debian-ports).

>(The current hppa-packages on debian-ports will render your box
>unusable anyway, since the hppa udev package there has a bug).

Ah, nice…

bye,
//mirabilos
--
FWIW, I'm quite impressed with mksh interactively. I thought it was much
*much* more bare bones. But it turns out it beats the living hell out of