is a 64 bit linux kernel possible?

Hi, I have an HP C3750 with 875Mhz PA8700+ cpu. I'm currently running debian lenny with kernel 2.6.26 32 bit. I am trying to compile and run the last linux kernel, 3.8.7, compiled with 64 bit kernel flag enabled. The compilation succeed, and with file vmlinux I get:
vmlinux: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, PA-RISC 2.0 (LP64) version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, not stripped

after copying it to /boot partition and rebooted the machine, I instructed palo to load this new kernel. Unfortunately it doesn't work, I have a serial console and the last message I see is palo saying "If this is the last message you see, you may need to switch to your console...."
On the lcd display of the c3750 I see "bus error". Eventually I had to do an hard reset and come back to the previous kernel.
I don't know if the problem is because the machine doesn't support 64 bit kernel (although I think it should) or because there's some misconfiguration in the linux kernel.
Has anybody had a similar experience?
Thanks

Paolo