Re: install/update/upgrade dance

On 10-May-13, at 11:15 PM, Geoff wrote:

 Helge et al,

I have reached the point where I want to download, build and install a new kernel from "unstable" prior to doing a full upgrade. At this point the process is breaking down on a circle of dependencies involving locales, libc6 and dpkg-dev. /etc/apt/sources.list has been amended as recommended.

If you do "apt-get install locales libc6 dpkg-dev", what happens? If you continue to add missing packages to the install list, can you resolve the dependency circle? The packages to do this should
be there.

The archive now has a kernel source build for 3.8.5-1~experimental.1. The 64-bit SMP package boots and runs on my rp3440. However, it lacks some of the stability fixes that have been recently
found.  It is very slow compared to 3.9.

Dave
--
John David Anglin	dave.anglin@bell.net