Re: Architecture removal and social contract

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 02:12:09PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 12:27:22PM +0200, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
> > Only one of the points I was making. Allow me to restate them here:
> >
> > 1) what's the cost of letting the unstable buildds run on a "don't
> > care" basis? (question which I asked before and which remained
> > unanswered)
>
> I don't thinks this one is for me to answer (and anyhow I don't know the
> answer).
>
> > 2) what's to become of the hppa hardware currently in "Debian's
> > hands"? (autobuilders, porter boxes): if the port is gone, maybe they
> > can be put to better use elsewhere?
>
> I don't consider the HPPA port "gone". It has simply failed, for quite a
> while now, to reach the quality level needed to be part of Debian and,
> as a consequence, it will no longer be hosted on ftp-master
> infrastructure. It will be hosted on debian-ports and can keep improving
> there, once it will be consider in a almost releasable state it will
> probably be re-approved by the release team and hosted back on
> ftp-master infrastructure.
>
> Regarding hardware, if you (or someone else) claim ownership on it, then
> I would need to reconstruct the donation history of it. Nonetheless
> please keep in mind that the fact that if it were donated to Debian for
> hppa, it doesn't mean that it would have been donated to others for
> hppa, as Debian name usually plays an important role in donations. I'm
> sure you see how unpleasant the discussion could become ... Hence, I'd
> surely welcome solutions in which the hardware remain in "Debian's
> hands" but is accessed by hppa porters, if feasible.
>
> To comment more on this, I would need more precise details about which
> hardware you're talking about, where it is, when/how it was donated to
> Debian, etc.

The three machines currently serving as buildds & porter boxes are
maintained and hosted by HP. I expect these buildds will continue
operating for debian to provide updates to lenny, and also serve as
buildds for debian-ports should hppa move there.

We never did any paperwork to donate these systems to Debian - and I'm
not sure I see the point in doing so while HP continues to host
them. Such a policy would only add beaurocracy when we need to swap
out a dying box, etc.

    -dann