Re: 9000/785/C8000 - turn off boot console ttyB0

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:10:29PM +0100, Geert Lorang wrote:
> On 22/03/2010 19:55, Frans Pop wrote:
>> My own parisc box is headless and works fine over serial console.
> I'm trying to install this box but can't get into the installer.
>> Have you checked the firmware configuration for your box?
>> That could be set up in some strange way. One thing to check is how the
>> console is configured in the firmware and what speed the serial port is
>> set to.
>>
> I connect using minicom 9600/8n1 and can see all system debug messages.

This is correct serial parameters for default setups.

> Serial config seems fine.

It's fine for ttyB0.

> Current Console path: serial_A.643 / 17.643 is configured by default. At
> PALO the kernel "console" parameters is set default to ttyS0 but tried
> ttyS0-S3. Also tried adding "serial=ttyS[0-3]" parameter. Not sure this
> serial= parameter makes sense.

I've forgotten all the things you've already tried:
  already try "console=ttyS0,9600n8" parameter? (specify baud rate)
  also try "console=ttyB0"? (e.g. just use PDC to drive serial port)

And then try ",9600n8" with ttyS ports 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 (just in case).

ttyB0 will use whatever speed PDC (firmware) is configured for.

When control of the serial port is handed to the linux kernel, the kernel
will set the baud rate to whatever the default it wants (probably 15200,8n1).

Note that c8000 is very different than the C3xxx machines many people have.

hth,
grant