Re: 9000/785/C8000 - turn off boot console ttyB0

On 22/03/2010 19:55, Frans Pop wrote:
My own parisc box is headless and works fine over serial console.
I'm trying to install this box but can't get into the installer.
Have you checked the firmware configuration for your box?
That could be set up in some strange way. One thing to check is how the
console is configured in the firmware and what speed the serial port is
set to.
I connect using minicom 9600/8n1 and can see all system debug messages. Serial config seems fine.

Current Console path: serial_A.643 / 17.643 is configured by default. At PALO the kernel "console" parameters is set default to ttyS0 but tried ttyS0-S3. Also tried adding "serial=ttyS[0-3]" parameter. Not sure this serial= parameter makes sense.

Something else I should check?

Console: colour dummy device 160x64
console handover: boot [ttyB0] ->  real [tty0]
The ttyB0 is only used for the very early boot process and is always
replaced with some other console, so the message is entirely normal.

The tty0 means the kernel is expecting a display attached to the system and
directing console output there.
As expected this only works when a local keyboard is attached, but again all output stops right after this line, but this is probably due to the (unsupported?) ATI FireGL videocard (already tried some others, see previous mail).

The thing I find a bit strange is why I always get the message "turn off boot console ttyB0"? Shouldn't the message be something like "console handover: boot [ttyB0] -> real [ttyS0]" ? Now it looks like it disables the boot console but won't enable another console.

Regards,
Geert