Re: 9000/785/C8000 - turn off boot console ttyB0

Geert Lorang wrote:
> I tried Debian stable (2.6.26-2-parisc64), unstable (2.6.30-2-parisc64),
> (and gentoo 2.6.24-gentoo-r3-livecd64) but all got the same issue, while
> the kernel boots up I got the message "turn off boot console ttyB0" and
> here it just waits forever.
 > Although I do hear that my disks spin up, so it must be busy with
> something (it probably just continues but can't show it).

Yes, it's likely that it is working, but that you're just not seeing
output.

My own parisc box is headless and works fine over serial console.

Have you checked the firmware configuration for your box?
That could be set up in some strange way. One thing to check is how the
console is configured in the firmware and what speed the serial port is
set to.

> Console: colour dummy device 160x64
> console handover: boot [ttyB0] -> real [tty0]

The ttyB0 is only used for the very early boot process and is always
replaced with some other console, so the message is entirely normal.

The tty0 means the kernel is expecting a display attached to the system and
directing console output there.

Cheers,
FJP