Re: PA8800/8900 status & HPPA for Squeeze

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:44:32PM -0600, Grant Grundler wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 04:50:02PM -0300, Kurt Fitzner wrote:
> > Being a great fan of HPPA (these machines just last forever) I have the
> > opportunity to pick up a cheap C8000.  I noticed a few notes about
> > instability of Linux with PA8800/8900.  The most up-to-date reference I
> > could find, though, was for kernel 2.6.22.  Is instability on this
> > platform still a problem?  If it is, does anyone have a sense on whether
> > or not this is likely to be resolved?
>
> 2.6.33 appears to still have one open issue but seems to work for most stuff.
>
> Note that C8000 is *different* than the chip sets most other folks
> are using (Astro/Elroy) but should essentially be the same as rp3440
> machines being used to test/develop latest kernel releases.
>
> > On a separate note, I remember when HPPA was in jeopardy for Lenny that
> > people were then saying forget about HPPA for Squeeze.  However, I note
> > that HPPA is still on the architectures list, albeit with a few weak
> > spots.  Is it likely that we'll see HPPA officially in Squeeze?
>
> My understanding is as long as Carlos (and any other porters who
> help) keep showing progress on open bugs, it will remain included.
> It is still skating on thin ice though in terms of meeting all the
> inclusion criteria (stable buildd, publicly accessible DD machines, etc).
> Anyone is welcome to correct me if I've missed something.

That ice is quite a bit thicker - in fact, I think I saw some kids
playing hockey on it earlier.

We have 3 buildds and a porter box that have been quite stable, and
we've been keeping up w/ builds steadily for months now.

The biggest issues I know of are hppa-specific bugs:
  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-hppa@lists.debian.org;which=tag&data=hppa&archive=no

I suspect a good chunk of them could be root caused back to the vfork
issue (e.g. everything that uses waf as a build system).

--
dann frazier