Re: PA8800/8900 status & HPPA for Squeeze

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 04:50:02PM -0300, Kurt Fitzner wrote:
> Being a great fan of HPPA (these machines just last forever) I have the
> opportunity to pick up a cheap C8000.  I noticed a few notes about
> instability of Linux with PA8800/8900.  The most up-to-date reference I
> could find, though, was for kernel 2.6.22.  Is instability on this
> platform still a problem?  If it is, does anyone have a sense on whether
> or not this is likely to be resolved?

2.6.33 appears to still have one open issue but seems to work for most stuff.

Note that C8000 is *different* than the chip sets most other folks
are using (Astro/Elroy) but should essentially be the same as rp3440
machines being used to test/develop latest kernel releases.

> On a separate note, I remember when HPPA was in jeopardy for Lenny that
> people were then saying forget about HPPA for Squeeze.  However, I note
> that HPPA is still on the architectures list, albeit with a few weak
> spots.  Is it likely that we'll see HPPA officially in Squeeze?

My understanding is as long as Carlos (and any other porters who
help) keep showing progress on open bugs, it will remain included.
It is still skating on thin ice though in terms of meeting all the
inclusion criteria (stable buildd, publicly accessible DD machines, etc).
Anyone is welcome to correct me if I've missed something.

hth,
grant