Re: open issues with the hppa port

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 09:55:53AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> Dave, Kyle, Dann,
>
> What's the most stable configuration we can create for the buildds,
> even if it means crippling them with UP kernels?

Sorry Carlos - was on vacation & not good about keeping up w/ e-mail.

We have been running with UP kernels for quite some time, and they
haven't proven to be any more stable. Most recently I've upgraded
peri/penalosa to 2.6.31-rc6-based kernels since they were inclusive of
the various changes I was pointed to on this list (thanks John/Helge).

peri has been surprisingly stable - uptime of 2 weeks so far, and it
seems to be under pretty steady build load.

penalosa is a different story - it has been very unstable with uptimes
of several hours at most. The hardware/kernel packages are identical
to that of peri (afaict), so I'm not sure why. The failure mode
results in infinite panics being printed to the console - but every
time I've seen it I haven't had enough console history to see the
beginning of this crash. I am now logging the console to see if I can
capture that. It is of course possible that penalosa is having
hardware problems - but I don't know of a way to prove this
conclusively. We could maybe swap disks to see if the failure follows
the disks or the hardware (though that doesn't eliminate a disk
problem).

Note that I don't monitor the build output, so I don't know if we're
still seeing the same level of random segfaults in userland.
LaMont?

--
dann frazier