Re: guile-gnome-platform build failure on hppa

"Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@systemhalted.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Carlos
> O'Donell<carlos@systemhalted.org> wrote:
>> I'll fix this manually and try a dpkg-buildpackage run.
>
> I'm bringing in Andreas, the guile-gnome-platform maintainer, to this
> conversation
>
> Andreas, the problem on hppa with guile-gnome-platform is that one of
> the tests in the testsuite fails with:
> ~~~
> test-wrapset-api: exception in test: (misc-error "dynamic-link" "file:
> ~S, message: ~S" ("libgw-guile-gnome-gtk" "file not found") #f)
> ~~~

Yes, I'm aware of that problem; however I've not yet had time to
investigate.

> This means that the load of the dynamic library
> libgw-guile-gnome-gtk.so failed, and the reason given is that the file
> was not found.
>
> The file exists, it's in
> "./gtk/gnome/gw/.libs/libgw-guile-gnome-gtk.so" and inspection with
> readelf shows that it looks correct.
>
> I determined that dev-environ uses GUILE_LOAD_PATH to pass directories
> which guile should search when loading libtool library archives.

I think the relevant environment variable should be LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH,
and from looking at ./dev-environ.in, this should be set to include
gtk/gnome/gnome/gw.

> Guile supports loading libtool library archives by using libtool's
> libltdl.so (libtool library archive dynamic loader, similar to glibc's
> libdl.so).
>
> The libtool library files produced by hppa and x86 are identical (used
> the same path names) which proves nothing is seriously wrong with the
> generation of the libtool library archive *.la file.
>
> Do you see anything wrong with the comments I made above regarding
> guile-gnome-platform?

Except what I've noted above, no.

> My next step is to build a small testcase using libltdl.so to see if I
> can load libgw-guile-gnome-gtk from the same CWD as guile, and prove
> that libtool is working.
>
> If libtool's libltdl.so is working correctly, then I need to debug
> guile's libtool library archive loading e.g.
> guile-1.8-1.8.7+1/libguile/dynl.c (s_scm_dynamic_link).

Thanks a lot for looking into this! If you need any assistance, just
prod me (I'm also on IRC freenode/#guile).

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann -- <http://rotty.yi.org/>