Re: guile-gnome-platform build failure on hppa

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Carlos
O'Donell<carlos@systemhalted.org> wrote:
> I'll fix this manually and try a dpkg-buildpackage run.

I'm bringing in Andreas, the guile-gnome-platform maintainer, to this
conversation

Andreas, the problem on hppa with guile-gnome-platform is that one of
the tests in the testsuite fails with:
~~~
test-wrapset-api: exception in test: (misc-error "dynamic-link" "file:
~S, message: ~S" ("libgw-guile-gnome-gtk" "file not found") #f)
~~~

This means that the load of the dynamic library
libgw-guile-gnome-gtk.so failed, and the reason given is that the file
was not found.

The file exists, it's in
"./gtk/gnome/gw/.libs/libgw-guile-gnome-gtk.so" and inspection with
readelf shows that it looks correct.

I determined that dev-environ uses GUILE_LOAD_PATH to pass directories
which guile should search when loading libtool library archives.

Guile supports loading libtool library archives by using libtool's
libltdl.so (libtool library archive dynamic loader, similar to glibc's
libdl.so).

The libtool library files produced by hppa and x86 are identical (used
the same path names) which proves nothing is seriously wrong with the
generation of the libtool library archive *.la file.

Do you see anything wrong with the comments I made above regarding
guile-gnome-platform?

My next step is to build a small testcase using libltdl.so to see if I
can load libgw-guile-gnome-gtk from the same CWD as guile, and prove
that libtool is working.

If libtool's libltdl.so is working correctly, then I need to debug
guile's libtool library archive loading e.g.
guile-1.8-1.8.7+1/libguile/dynl.c (s_scm_dynamic_link).

Cheers,
Carlos.