Re: hppa release status

On 6/17/2008, "Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> wrote:

>* Kyle McMartin <kyle@mcmartin.ca> [080616 21:09]:
>> Holding up Debian because of a minority of people with a small amount
>> of time to work on things doesn't seem entirely fair.
>
>I do not think this is an fair assesment. Take some examples:

[snip]

It is quite obvious that hppa has some requirements wrt quality that are
(imho) a good thing, and thus a good thing to have around in Debian, for
all the reasons you pointed out.

Yet that doesn't change anything to the fact that the port is nowadays
clearly lacking manpower. The very few people actually doing work on the
port have unfortunately less and less time on their hands (I for one can
just keep up with my own chores, not much more), and we have no "fresh
blood" coming in to contribute. *That* is a problem...

Put another way, if there's just a handful of people using debian hppa
and they can live with a sid-only (or second class citizen)
distribution, then there's no point in putting in the effort to do
stable release. It's saddening, but that's how things work.

So, if anyone's reading this and feels like giving a hand, please step
up!

HTH

T-Bone