Re: help needed on installing Debian 4.0 on A180C

On 16-jul-2007, at 18:31, Frans Pop wrote:

On Monday 16 July 2007 08:44, Angelo Machils wrote:
I'm sorry to say so, but apparently it *is* possible. uname -r gives
me a 2.4.xxxxx kernel as response. I did do an install of 3.0r4 and
*then* a dist-upgrade to 4.0rx, perhaps that is the reason.

The title of your mail says "help needed _installing_ Debian 4.0",
not "help needed _upgrading to_ Debian 4.0". That is a pretty fundamental difference and you put people trying to help you completely on the wrong
foot by mixing up these terms.
Also, it is not really advisable to try *upgrading* from Debian to Ubuntu
or vice versa. They are completely separate distributions, and some
differences can cause problems. It may be possible, but mixing Debian and Ubuntu in any way is not guaranteed to work and you are basically on your
own to solve any resulting issues.

If you are upgrading from Debian Sarge to Debian Etch, I suggest you read
the release notes for Etch [1].

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/hppa/release-notes/

Hello,

No disrespect intended, but my original mail was pretty clear about wanting to install 4.0 but having problems with it, and then I wrote that an install of 3.0 would work, so someone on this list suggested to do that first and then a dist-upgrade. So perhaps reading my original mail would clarify it for you?!

Besides that, I never suggested I did an update from Debian to Ubuntu (as far as I know, there is no Ubuntu for HPPA), I just stated that I had some experience with Ubuntu and also asked if there was a sources.list builder for HPPA Debian like there is for (i386/x64/PPC) Ubuntu.

With kind regards,
Angelo Machils