Re: help needed on installing Debian 4.0 on A180C

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 08:44:49AM +0200, Angelo Machils wrote:
> I'm sorry to say so, but apparently it *is* possible. uname -r gives
> me a 2.4.xxxxx kernel as response. I did do an install of 3.0r4 and
> *then* a dist-upgrade to 4.0rx, perhaps that is the reason.

It is. AFAICT, parisc will not replace the kernel in any sort of upgrade.
You have to modify palo.conf by hand to point at the new kernel and
run "palo" manually.

BTW, for now, do not use 2.6.18 SMP kernels. I believe fixes went into
2.6.22 that help make parisc SMP stable again.

>  Sadly I
> didn't turn on the machine this morning otherwise I could have logged
> into it from here. Later I will post the sources.list, but it should
> be okay, since I remarked all lines before I did a sudo apt-cdrom add
> for all 3 the DVD's for 4.0 and then performed a dist-upgrade.

What's on the DVD's should work basically.
Upgrades from that should be fine too once one gets rid of the SMP kernel.

hth,
grant