Re: D-I Etch Beta2 - Status update (4)

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:34:12PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> Sorry for not responding earlier, but the release had higher prio :-)
>
> On Friday 10 March 2006 09:05, Grant Grundler wrote:
> > The install had some nits and a major bug:
> > o initramfs package failed to install.  Retrying got past that.
>
> Strange. Never seen that. Anything in the installer's syslog about it?

Sorry - didn't have a chance to check that.
Is the log automatically preserved?

If not, it's toast.

> How did you retry?
> That normally means partitioning again and running full base
> installation again.

I only retried that step - forget if that's the base install
or select packages.

> > o kernel package installed failed on the second try.  Retrying got past
> > that.
>
> Probably a result of previous issue.

Yes, likely.

> Yes, if you did not set up /boot in the PALO partition during the install,
> that is very likely as the kernel is installed after the rest of the base
> system. We could probably add a check for the max physical position of
> the partition that has /boot in palo-installer (in a finish.d hook for
> partman).
>
> Care to file a bugreport about that?

TBH, I don't considered it a bug unless it happens with
a default install.

It would be nice if the default install were smart enough to
use sda1 as /boot _always_.
That would completely avoid the issue of needing a check.

> The automatic partitioning takes care of it by creating a separate /boot
> partition within the first 2 GB.
>
> This is what I got from automatic partitioning with separate /home:
> Disk /dev/sda: 9100 MB, 9100044288 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1106 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot   Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1            1           4       32098+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda2            5          20      128520   83  Linux
> /dev/sda3           21        1106     8723295    5  Extended
> /dev/sda5   *       21         338     2554303+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda6          339         369      248976   82  Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/sda7          370        1106     5919921   83  Linux

This works?!!
Shouldn't sda1 be the palo partition? (Id == f0)
I would expect palo command to complain that it can't find the palo partition.

I gather sda2 is /boot.
Otherwise looks fine.

thanks,
grant