Cc: <241497@bugs.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:31 PM
Subject: RFC and status report: Kernel upgrades for woody->sarge upgrades

Hi all.

As many of you may know on some machines users will need to install
a current kernel before they will be able to upgrade woody to sarge
(or better: glibc of woody to glibc of sarge). I've tried to use the
available information to provide the needed files for these kernel
To my knowledge the affected machines/architecures are currently
hppa64, sparc sun4m (only some of them) and 80386.

Because of the pain to maintain a kernel backport over the lifetime
of sarge we have decided to only offer backports of the needed tools
(modutils, module-init-tools and initrd-tools) to use stock sarge
kernels on woody.

It is planned to upload these files together with some documentation
into a upgrade-kernel (or whatever else name the ftpmasters will prefer)
directory in the archive.

I've prepared the necessary backports and some rudimentary documentation
and put it online at

We now need people that
- test the backports
- read/comment on/improve the documentation

Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/