RFC and status report: Kernel upgrades for woody->sarge upgrades

Hi all.

As many of you may know on some machines users will need to install
a current kernel before they will be able to upgrade woody to sarge
(or better: glibc of woody to glibc of sarge). I've tried to use the
available information to provide the needed files for these kernel
upgrades.
To my knowledge the affected machines/architecures are currently
hppa64, sparc sun4m (only some of them) and 80386.

Because of the pain to maintain a kernel backport over the lifetime
of sarge we have decided to only offer backports of the needed tools
(modutils, module-init-tools and initrd-tools) to use stock sarge
kernels on woody.

It is planned to upload these files together with some documentation
into a upgrade-kernel (or whatever else name the ftpmasters will prefer)
directory in the archive.

I've prepared the necessary backports and some rudimentary documentation
and put it online at
http://higgs.djpig.de/upgrade/upgrade-kernel/

We now need people that
 - test the backports
 - read/comment on/improve the documentation

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/