Re: J5000 LCD heartbeat

On Saturday 19 March 2005 23:19, Grant Grundler wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 10:33:24PM +0000, David Pye wrote:
> > The other thing is that the kernel version which is displayed on the lcd
> > by default is overwritten partly by a:
> >
> > INI CC01
> >
> > It's not a huge issue for me, as I can overwrite it again by echo'ing my
> > message into /proc/pdc/lcd post boot.
>
> This is the firmware showing the "Chassis Log" as emitted by the kernel.
> Some platforms (e.g. A500/rp2470) use chassis logs to set the LED
> properly.
>
> > Is it possible to make the write to the display later in the boot
> > process, so it occurs after the INI CC01 is printed?
>
> I would think it's possible.
> You want to track down where the CC01 chassis_log is emitted then
> propose a better place to initialize LED display?

I think I have an idea that it's related to CPU1 init, but I haven't confirmed
this yet - depending on your feedback to the idea below, I won't bother
tracing it down.

> Another idea is the chassis log code might want to clear the LED
> diplay when displaying a chassis log and then a few seconds later
> refresh the LED display with the original contents or something.

At the very least, I think it needs to clear the lcd display before it sends
the chassis code to the PDC.  How does this sound:

Clear the lcd
Send the chassis code
set up a timer for 15 seconds, say, to restore the original display text

This requires a couple of changes to led.c so firmware.c can tell whether the
machine has an LCD or not. (If it does, then do the above, otherwise just
send the chassis code as before.)

If you agree that this is something useful, I will do some more hacking on it.
Otherwise, I'll do the other option and arrange the the chassis log to be
sent before the lcd has the initial text printed on it.

Another idea I had was this:

How about making the text scrollable? ie if the string is longer than the
viewport, scroll it along at a reasonable rate.

I'm willing to have a play with this too, if people think it's something worth
having.

Did you have any hints you could give me as to fix my very occasional
heartbeat issue either?

Cheers,

David

<snip>