Re: [parisc-linux] C240 and Linux 2.6.x

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 06:46:49PM +0100, Alexander Bartolich wrote:
> Please be so kind and show me the exact item on
>
>   http://www.parisc-linux.org/faq/
>
> I can't find it.

I think the kernel mesg is obsolete and needs to be updated
to point at the "PA-RISC/Linux Boot HOWTO" by Thomas Marteau.
The FAQ does point at the "Boot HOWTO". But it's buried under
"network booting" question (non-obvious place to look).

http://www.pateam.org/parisc-linux-boot/PA-RISC-Linux-Boot-HOWTO.html

See section 3 - talks about consoles.
Ah...just saw further down that you already found this anyway.
Good. :^)

> I started my custom compiled 2.6.10 with the configuration of
> the Debian kernel kernel-image-2.6.8-1-32. Not sure what kind
> of architecture that targets.

It should boot on anything that can run 32-bit.
I fully expect it to work on a C240 with either gfx head (STICON)
or serial console.

I think you can just drop the "console=" parameter and
the kernel should be able to autodetect what the console
is.

> CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
> Still no success. Now I think that
> a) either PALO does not understand the file format of the kernel
>    a completely misses the entry point
>
>    $ palo --help | head -1
>    palo version 1.5 bame@c3k Fri May 14 16:17:56 MDT 2004

Unlikely.

> b) or that the kernel fucks up extremely soon.

c) command line is indicating the console is on an unsupported device.

> > [...] Even thought some foreign pci card (some ATI and Vodoo iirc)
> > are reported to works (not using stifb obviously because couldn't be
> > detected by pdc) for X [...]
>
> I don't need X11, and 2.4.27-32-pa4 runs fine with STI.

Yes, STI should continue to work with 2.6.x kernels.
This sounds like a bug.

hth,
grant