Re: [parisc-linux] C240 and Linux 2.6.x

Hello Alexander,

Alexander Bartolich wrote:
I have a C240 satisfyingly running Debian Testing and kernels
from 2.4.17 to 2.4.27-pa4, both stock and custom compiled.

However, no variation of 2.6.x ever booted. Since the last message
I see is that infamous »you may need to switch your console« I
eventually organized a serial cable, a second machine running
minicom and got the same result:

[...]

Where is this FAQ item mentioned above?
Simply at <http://www.parisc-linux.org/> :-)

And how is this ment, anyway?
Just switching consoles within HP's »BIOS«,
Two possibility:
1) disconect all kdb from builtin interfaces (on my c110 there are ps2 and hp-hil) then pdc (hp's 'bios') will switch automaticaly to serial port 1 as console (then booting kernel will also use this) 2) at pdc boot prompt (Main Menu: Enter command or menu > ) (this is the one of my c110) choose submenu "COnfiguration menu" in which option "PAth [PRI|ALT] [<path>]" would help you to select your console (see: help path) (e.g. to set serial1 as console: "path con serial_1"

or passing some arguments via /etc/palo.conf,
only requested for some k model iirc (to force kernel to use ttyB0 for the mux)

or compiling the kernel with different settings?

At a first glance I would try first the b180 config (a quick look at <http://www.openpa.net/index.html>, seems to me the nearest):
prebuild kernel for different model are available at <http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/download/linux-2.6/> (see instruction at the top of page to install package :-)

or build your own: in the subdir arch/parisc/configs/ you would find b180_defconfig which you copy as .config in the top of your kernel tree then "make oldconfig; make vmlinux" ;-)

I'd really like to help more, but without any diagnostics of 2.6.x ...
Well, here is the start of dmesg when booting with a custom compiled
kernel:

Not trivial exercise, but you can try to build an equivalent one for 2.6 (simply copy the 2.4 .config into 2.6 was not enough for my c110, I realy have to check option by option)

[...]
STI device: HPA4554A
stifb: Unsupported gfx card id 0x2fc1066b
A few gfx card are supported (lack of doc) :-(