Re: Sarge lifimage install fails on gcc-3.0-base

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:30:15 -0600
Grant Grundler <grundler@parisc-linux.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 10:52:18PM -0400, Chuck Slivkoff wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply. I found more recent businesscard.iso &
> > netinst.iso, but no boot.img lifimages (on
> > people.debian.org/cdimage/testing). I've looked everywhere I could
> > think of and did some creative google-ing, but can not locate a
> > 20040909 lif image. Is there one or can it be extracted from one of
> > the iso's?
>
> I think so. Like lilo, palo is both a boot loader and command line
> util. I use palo to build lifimages for net booting with NFS root for
> testing. Only need vmlinux.
> I've never tried to extract or build a lifimage which included
> an initrd and other bits to install a system. But all the bits
> palo needs must be on the install ISO.

They are. I don't know the layout of sarge netinst, but on woody ones,
all you have to do is loop mount the ISO somewhere, and get the lifimage
which goes by the name "root.bin" iirc, and which is in the boot
floppies folder on the ISO.

HTH

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team