Re: Graphics mode on my C3000 - close but no cigar

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 09:07:34PM -0400, Harry Cochran wrote:
> Hi Daniele,
>
> 	I received and installed the Visualize EG/PCI card. I reloaded Debian from
> scratch. I chose monitor resolution 1280x960 at 85Hz since there was no
> 1280x1024 choice.

The card certainly supports it.
PCI Vis-EG/PCI will support up to 1600x1200 @ 60Hz (IIRC).
Did you hit <tab> key when the system was powering up?

>  I chose gdm for the display manager because Grant told me
> xdm had problems.

Correct. But I personally don't use any Display Manager - only a primitive
window manager.

> I installed kernel-image-2.4.26-32 and did apt-get upgrade
> (I had installed X on the original installation). The upgrade returned an
> error 1 on installing xfont-scalable and I didn't know how to fix it.
> Anyway, I proceeded to reboot (with pa con GRAPHICS(3) type 2) and X failed
> to come up. I got a dialog box asking if I wanted to see what was wrong with
> the X configuration and I said "Yes". This brought up a window which said
> "Process set to nice value 0 instead of -10 as requested" and a bunch of
> XFree disclaimers. I have looked at /etx/X11/XF86Config-4 (when X fails, it
> brings up the serial console) and I can't see anything obviously wrong.
> At
> this point I am requesting that you tell me exactly what you did to get you
> C3000 running in Graphics mode please.

I think you have alll the basic things in place.
The resolution specified for the Section "Screen"/Subsection "Display"
must exactly match what fbset reports.

Have you read the PA-RISC Graphics HOW-TO?
http://www.parisc-linux.org/faq/graphics-howto.html

hth,
grant