RE: Graphics mode on my C3000 - close but no cigar

Thanks for your inputs Grant, but I still can't get it to work ... replies
follow your inputs below:

-----Original Message-----
From: Grant Grundler [mailto:grundler@parisc-linux.org]
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2004 9:59 PM
To: Harry Cochran
Cc: Daniele Antonozzi; debian-hppa@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Graphics mode on my C3000 - close but no cigar

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 09:07:34PM -0400, Harry Cochran wrote:
> Hi Daniele,
>
> 	I received and installed the Visualize EG/PCI card. I reloaded Debian
from
> scratch. I chose monitor resolution 1280x960 at 85Hz since there was no
> 1280x1024 choice.

The card certainly supports it.
PCI Vis-EG/PCI will support up to 1600x1200 @ 60Hz (IIRC).
Did you hit <tab> key when the system was powering up?

Yes it reports GRAPHICS(3) type 2 (1280x1024 at 75Hz)

>  I chose gdm for the display manager because Grant told me
> xdm had problems.

Correct. But I personally don't use any Display Manager - only a primitive
window manager.

Do you know if gdm works?

> I installed kernel-image-2.4.26-32 and did apt-get upgrade
> (I had installed X on the original installation). The upgrade returned an
> error 1 on installing xfont-scalable and I didn't know how to fix it.
> Anyway, I proceeded to reboot (with pa con GRAPHICS(3) type 2) and X
failed
> to come up. I got a dialog box asking if I wanted to see what was wrong
with
> the X configuration and I said "Yes". This brought up a window which said
> "Process set to nice value 0 instead of -10 as requested" and a bunch of
> XFree disclaimers. I have looked at /etx/X11/XF86Config-4 (when X fails,
it
> brings up the serial console) and I can't see anything obviously wrong.
> At
> this point I am requesting that you tell me exactly what you did to get
you
> C3000 running in Graphics mode please.

Any idea about the error:
"Setting up xfonts-scalable (4.3.0.dfsg.1-5) ...
fmt: invalid line number increment: '0'
dpkg: error processing xfonts-scalable (--configure):

I think you have alll the basic things in place.
The resolution specified for the Section "Screen"/Subsection "Display"
must exactly match what fbset reports.

Okay. I installed fbset and fbset --test and fbset --show both report:

mode: "1280x1024"
geometry 1280 1024 1280 1024 8
timings 0 0 0 0 0 0
rgba 8/0, 8/0, 8/0, 0/0
endmode

I edited the Section "Screen"/Subsection "Display" of /etx/X11/XF86Config-4
and changed 1280x960 to 1280x1024 everywhere, so now the SubSection says:

SubSection "Display"
	Depth		n
	Modes		"1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection

for n=1,4,8,15,16,24

I assume the "8" fbset reports under geometry and rgba is 8 bit color. Is
that right? I specfied 16bit color when I installed. Anyway I tried Default
Depth 16 and Default Depth 8 and got the same result.

Also, as I said, when I installed I picked 1280x960 at 85Hz because it was
the closest thing on the list to 1280x1024 at 75Hz which is type 2. The
Monitor Sections says:

Section 	"Monitor"
		Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
		HorizSync	30-92
		VertRefresh	50-85
		Option	"DPMS"

Do I have to do something to get XF86Config-4 registered as you have to do
with palo.conf after changing it?

Have you read the PA-RISC Graphics HOW-TO?
http://www.parisc-linux.org/faq/graphics-howto.html

Yes, I didn't find your write-up helpful beyond a certain point.

hth,
grant

Thanks again for your help,

Harry